#6 – WhatsApp
WhatsApp Messenger by WhatsApp Inc. uses your phone’s Internet connection (4G/3G/2G/EDGE or Wi-Fi) to message and call friends and family. You simply switch from SMS to WhatsApp to send and receive messages, calls, photos, videos, and voice messages so you don’t have to pay for every message or call. It’s a quick and easy way of communicating without using your monthly call and/or text allowance.
Here are some of the useful features of the app:
- Call your contacts using WhatsApp for free, even if they’re in another country. WhatsApp calls use your phone’s Internet connection rather than your network plan’s voice minutes
- Enjoy group chats with your contacts so you can easily stay in touch with your friends or family
- You can also send and receive WhatsApp messages right from your computer’s browser
- WhatsApp works with your phone number, just like SMS, and integrates seamlessly with your phone’s existing address book
- With WhatsApp, you’re always logged in so you don’t miss messages. No more confusion about whether you’re logged in or logged out
- Even if you miss your notifications or turn off your phone, WhatsApp will save your recent messages until the next time you use the app
- Lots of customisation options including the ability to share your location, exchange contacts, set custom wallpapers and notification sounds, email chat history, broadcast messages to multiple contacts at once, and more
N.B. Currently, WhatsApp is free to use for the first year and then costs $0.99 per year thereafter.